2012 NBA Trade Rumors: Dwight Howard’s Orlando Magic Future

As you would expect, there are two conflicting rumors floating around regarding Dwight Howard’s future with the Orlando Magic. Given his year-long mission to make LeBron James’ “The Decision” debacle look good, though, it’s totally reasonable to assume that Howard’s vacillation is what is creating this latest bit of confusion.


According to RealGM, on Wednesday night Howard confirmed to them that he will waive his early termination option (ETO) for the 2012-13 system and attempt to make a run with the team as it is presently constructed.


"Man, listen, you know my heart, my soul and everything I have is in Orlando," Howard told RealGM. "I just can't leave it behind." 


He also apologized for what a ridiculous circus this whole process has devolved into.


"I have gotten some bad advice," Howard said. "I apologize for this circus I have caused to the fans of our city. They didn't deserve none of this. I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart. I will do whatever I can to make this right and do what I was put in Orlando to do." 


However, according to Yahoo! Sports, neither Howard’s teammates not Magic brass were not aware of his change of heart. In fact, according to Marc Stein of ESPN, Orlando is currently operating with the mentality that Howard is gone. Barring him agreeing to put his commitment to the team for at least one more season down on paper, the Magic will ship him off elsewhere before Thursday’s trade deadline.


Update: And now, per ESPN, he's staying.


Related Content


2012 NBA Trade Rumors: 76ers, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Raptors


NBA Trade Rumor: 3-Team Deal Between Lakers, Timberwolves, Blazers


2012 NBA Trade Rumors: Grizzlies, Hornets, Mavs, Rockets, Spurs


2012 NBA Trade Rumors: Bucks, Bulls, Cavs, Pacers, Pistons


2012 NBA Trade Rumors: Bobcats, Hawks, Heat, Magic, Wizards


10 Greatest Los Angeles Lakers Players of All Time