Yoga for Kids with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

Hi Aruna,


I am going to teach a 12-year-old special needs boy some yoga. He has fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). He used to play soccer so he seems to have balance, coordination, etc. He has some sensory integration issues, like he doesn’t care if his pants are twisted around his waist.


Any suggestions on yoga poses? Breath work? I thought about starting with chair yoga, but think that since he played soccer, maybe just work on the mat. Lots of grounding poses. I am not sure how he is with personal space, but maybe back-to-back breathing.  Any book recommendations? Thanks!


Ashley
U.S.A.


Hi Ashley,


Thanks for your e-mail. I have very little experience teaching kids with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. With kids with special circumstances like FAS and other diagnoses, ability varies so much from child to child. It’s hard to make a class plan before you actually meet the child to find out their personality and situation.


If I were going in for the first time here’s what I would do:



 


Video: Lingít youth Morgan Fawcett plays Native American Flute and spreads awareness of FAS and FASD, conditions he personally deals with everyday.  We can learn so much by listening to what the individual has to say.


 


 


I’ll post this on the blog and see if we can get some more ideas.


I’ve linked to some books on Amazon on the right on my blog for Children with special needs.  I don’t own all of the books but they have many good reviews.


Please let us know how the class goes, Ashley.


Aruna Kathy Humphrys
www.YoungYogaMasters.com


P.S.:  Readers – please share your insights. Do you know something about FAS? Have you worked with a child with FAS? Please list any resources, yoga ideas, or any other comments – especially health-related. I need to educate myself on this topic, and all info will be a great help for teachers and children!