Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi Will Compete in Olympics While 8 Months Pregnant

Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi will work off all her built up, pregnancy-fueled aggression in a really unique manner this summer – by shooting her way to tranquility.


One of the best shooters in the world, she qualified for the honor of representing Malaysia at this year’s Olympics thanks to a solid showing at the Asian Shooting Championships. That contest took place in January – just days after she learned of her pregnancy.


So you would figure that the news would startle her, right? Maybe throw her off her game a little bit? As it turns out, not so much. It just meant that she would have another person to talk to while competing.


"I will talk to the baby before I compete.. 'no kicking, stay calm for one hour and 15 minutes only please'" she told Reuters.


"When I go to London, I will be 33 weeks, when I come back it will be 34 weeks.”


And what does she hope to accomplish in London?


“My aim is to compete. Maybe, at the end of June or whatsoever, if I have some problem that would jeopardize the baby inside me, I will reconsider whether I am going or not. But I feel I am strong and my husband says 'as long as you feel like that, energized to do that, it seems like that is your baby talking to you so you go'.


"The doctors say I am very good and very fit and it is OK for me to train up to eight months or nine months."


Even though she is a world-class shooter, because of her pregnancy, Malaysia's newest big star will only compete in the 10m this summer. Previously, she took home the gold at the Southeast Asian Games in the 10m air rifle and the 50m rifle three position.


Despite the limitations, the soon-to-be mom is taking her situation in stride. When asked if she expects to win gold this year, she gave pretty much the best line you’ll ever hear on the topic:


"Maybe they will say this is unfair because two persons shoot for one gold," she laughed, pointing to her bulge.


The Olympics will kick off on July 27. 


(Kudos to The Big Lead for the find and Reuters for the transcript)


Related Content


Video: Here is 86-Year-Old Johanna Quass Doing Gymnastics


Photos: Maria Sharapova Got a Haircut, Looks Completely Different