College Basketball Recruiting: A Kentucky Fan Offered Nerlens Noel His Wife

Kentucky basketball fans are notoriously crazy. Not the sort of crazy that requires a mental illness test, obviously, but the sort of crazy you typically see in sports fandom. The sort of crazy that leads folks to offer up interesting items in exchange for tickets to the Final Four, or to trash local businesses twice over less than a week because the No. 1 ranked team in the nation -- that only lost twice all year -- happened to win a couple of games.


Since we know Kentucky fans are crazy, maybe it shouldn’t come as that big of a shock that in their mission to lure high school basketball phenom Nerlens Noel to town, they opted to make some very indecent proposals. How indecent?


In Noel’s own words (via ESPN):


I just got back from New Orleans playing in the All-American Championships and had a ball. The game was fun, of course, just playing with all my boys, but we had even more fun hanging out in the city.



Now, of course that had a lot to do with the fact that they were playing there, but I’m always just shocked at how dedicated Kentucky fans are. One man asked me if I wanted to take his wife home with me, ha ha. I couldn’t believe it. I was like, “Nah, I’m good,” but that’s just how insane the fans were down there. Great atmosphere.


The best part of that, unquestionably, was Noel chalking up a guy offering him his wife to “great atmosphere.”


Noel is expected to ultimately decide between attending Kentucky, Georgetown and Syracuse. It remains to be seen how badly husbands in Washington and New York want him on their squads.


Related Content


NBA Analysis: Of Course Owners Want College Players to Stay in School Longer


2012 NBA Mock Draft: Picks 16-23