Blackhawks Jonathan Toews Injury Status Update

Jonathan Toews will not play for the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday when they take the ice to skate with the Nashville Predators. It’s the 16th consecutive game that he will miss due to a concussion.


However, he has skated with his teammates in practice for five straight days, so that’s a good sign. Still, Toews has gotten close before, so he’s dialing back expectations.


Toews is “being a little bit more realistic with myself,” he said. “Even if I do feel completely 100 percent you might need a day or two just to make sure it’s going to stay that way.”


Toews says he’s optimistic about returning to the ice.


“I getting back to that stage where I’m progressing and getting closer to feeling the right way,” Toews said. “I’m just staying positive and hoping this is the time we break through.”


There are seven games left in the regular season and then the playoffs. The Hawks currently have the 6th seed and are relatively safe with Phoenix a full five points behind them.


Toews isn’t overly concerned with his injury and says he “absolutely” believes he will play again this season.


“I’m positive and just telling myself I’ll get through this,” Toews said. “(And) not let those little setbacks that have happened weigh me down and find a way to get back to 100 percent.”