She was worried about getting fat during the pregnancy and stopped eating (6 pics)

Having battled with teenage anorexia that doctors feared had left her infertile, Katy Bassett was delighted when she became pregnant at the age of 27. From weighing three stone at her lowest point she had spent a decade overcoming the disease and with the help of her husband James had reached a healthy nine stone. But the condition returned to haunt Mrs Bassett during pregnancy, and she became so ill that both she and unborn Evan almost died. Terrified of getting fat, her weight plummeted to just four stone. It meant she had to be tube-fed to keep her and her unborn son alive.
She was worried about getting fat during the pregnancy and stopped eating (6 pics)
Her dramatic weight loss meant Mrs Bassett had to be taken into hospital when just 11 weeks pregnant. Evan was born early at 30 weeks, but her ‘pregorexia’ left her too frail to care for him until he was 14 months old. Mrs Bassett, now 30 and fully recovered, says: 'Evan is a little miracle. Every day I just look at him and feel so grateful he’s healthy.
anorexia stories
'I knew I had to eat more for the baby but I kidded myself and told James that my fruit diet was healthy enough. I didn’t dare confide my thoughts to anyone.' Then at 11 weeks Mrs Bassett collapsed and she was rushed to hospital. A blood test revealed she and her unborn baby were literally starving to death and she was immediately put on a drip. She recalls: 'I was so frightened that I begged doctors to keep me in. I knew I couldn’t be trusted to eat properly at home.' Thankfully scans revealed unborn Evan was fine. But although her husband and hospital staff desperately tried to encourage Mrs Bassett to eat with tempting foods, she could only take tiny nibbles and had to be tube fed to keep her and her unborn child alive.
anorexia pictures

anorexia facts
'It was heartbreaking,” she recalls, 'James was only allowed in once a week with Evan. James was a rock and fortunately my mum helped with Evan so he could work but it was incredibly hard for both of us. And every time I saw Evan I’d cry because he seemed to have grown so much. Devastatingly I missed seeing him crawl for the first time and his first steps.' However, with intensive counselling, her health improved. She says: 'The turning point came when James brought Evan to visit one day. I was changing his nappy and I suddenly felt upset that I wouldn’t be changing it again for a week. 'In that instant I knew if I wanted to be a normal mum to Evan and a have a normal family life I had to get better. I made myself eat.'
anorexia questions
When Evan was 14 months and weighing nine stone, his mother finally came home. 'That was a very emotional moment,' she says, 'and from then on I was determined to make it up to Evan. We haven’t been apart since.' Since then Mrs Bassett, who believes anorexia during pregnancy is often not recognised properly, has put on another half a stone and she and her husband are even planning another baby.
anorexia questions and answers
via radulova.livejournal.com
Read more:
  • Models link to teenage anorexia - The media's obsession with painfully thin fashion models has contributed to the growth in eating disorders among young girls, according to the British Medical Association.
  • What causes teenage eating disorders - Teen anorexia, teenage eating disorders and teen bullying are on the rise. Many anorexic girls are severely affected by the pressure to be thin, which translates into being accepted. Parents tend to encourage their children not to care what other people think, but what happens when those words of encouragement just aren't enough?
  • Teenagers with eating disorders - In the United States, as many as 10 in 100 young women suffer from an eating disorder. Overeating related to tension, poor nutritional habits and food fads are relatively common eating problems for youngsters. In addition, two psychiatric eating disorders, anorexia nervosa and bulimia, are on the increase among teenage girls and young women and often run in families. These two eating disorders also occur in boys, but less often.
  • Eating disorders - Eating disorders are so common in America that 1 or 2 out of every 100 students will struggle with one. Each year, thousands of teens develop eating disorders, or problems with weight, eating, or body image.